Victor Jaramillo joined Caplin & Drysdale in 2010 as an associate in the firm's Washington, D.C. office.
ServicesMr Jaramillo advises multinational corporations, financial institutions, and individual clients on a broad range of tax matters, including tax controversies, risk management and international compliance, and cross-border structuring. He also utlizes his Spanish fluency to advise Spanish-speaking clients.
Mr. Jaramillo's major areas of practice include subpart F, tax treaty issues and competent authority proceedings, FATCA entity classification and compliance, withholding and information reporting, financial products, and individual compliance.
Mr. Jaramillo also has extensive experience advising both U.S. taxayers and individuals living abroad with undisclosed foreign assets on U.S. tax compliance issues, especially those with foreign business and trust interests.
HighlightsDuring law school, Mr. Jaramillo served as an extern in the Small Business/Self-Employed Division at the IRS's Office of Chief Counsel. Before joining Caplin & Drysdale, he practiced in the tax group of a major international law firm.
- Previously served as Vice-Chair of the ABA Young Lawyers Division
Awards & Rankings
- The American Lawyer's Global Legal Award, Global Dispute of the Year: Investigations, Swiss Tax Settlements, 2015
- Emory University School of Law, Outstanding Tax Student Award
- The American Lawyer Names Caplin & Drysdale Global Legal Award Recipient for Swiss Tax Investigations, The American Lawyer, July 31, 2015
- Caplin & Drysdale's International Tax Group Earns Top Honors for Second Consecutive Year, The Legal 500, July 29, 2015
- Worldwide Tax Daily Quotes Victor Jaramillo: IRS Working with SSA on Offshore Streamlined Filing Requirement, Worldwide Tax Daily, November 7, 2014
- Victor Jaramillo Comments on Non-Willful Conduct Under Streamlined OVDP, Bloomberg BNA, November 7, 2014
- Global Law Experts Award Caplin & Drysdale 2014 International Private Client Law Firm of the Year in Washington, D.C., Global Law Experts, June 9, 2014
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, FATCA's Expanding Global Reach: A Concern for Big and Small, ABA Tax Section, January 29, 2016
- Speaker, Cumplimiento Internacional, FBARS, y mas (Presentation in Spanish), Latino Tax Professionals Association, 2015 National Convention, August 5, 2015
- International Compliance, FBARs, and More, Latino Tax Professionals Association, 2015 National Convention, August 4, 2015
- Speaker, The Implications of FATCA in Switzerland, University of Geneva, Tax Law Day, February 2, 2015
- "U.S. Passports in Jeopardy for Taxpayers Owing the IRS ," with Niles A. Elber, Dianne C. Mehany, and Zhanna A. Ziering, Caplin & Drysdale, December 9, 2015
- "Me, Myself, and My Subsidiary: A Shift in the Intent Standard in Related-Party Hybrid Debt Cases," with Stafford Smiley, Corporate Taxation, September 1, 2013
- "Case Updates-Dell Products (Norway) General Electric Capital (Canada) SNF (Australia)," with Stafford Smiley, Corporate Taxation, March 1, 2012