Michael G. Pfeifer is a member in Caplin & Drysdale's Washington, D.C. office, joining the firm in 2004.
Mr. Pfeifer's practice focuses on the international tax issues of wealthy individuals, including entertainers and athletes, as well as pre-immigration and expatriation planning, structuring cross-border investments, international deferred compensation and retirement planning. He also handles estate planning matters, including the use of domestic and foreign trusts. He has extensive experience handling tax controversy matters, including voluntary disclosure
Mr. Pfeifer writes frequently on international tax matters. He is also mentioned in major media outlets.
- FATCA Reporting - Are Trusts and Trustees Caught in the Net?, Financier Worldwide (July 2013)
- The State of Expatriation 2011 (August 2011)
- An Overview of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, ABA, Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, 22 Annual Spring Symposia, April 28-29, 2011, Washington, D.C. (with Oluyemi Ojutiku); originally prepared for NYSBA CLE/STEP, 7 Annual International Estate Planning Institute, March 24-25, 2011, New York City
- The IRS Spotlight on Foreign Athletes and Entertainers, Mondaq Business Briefing (with Lucy Lee, November 7, 2008)
- Foreign Trusts: Everything You Wanted to Know About the Taxation of Foreign Trusts But Were Afraid to Ask, MICPEL: Beyond QDOTs: International Estate Planning for a Flat World (October 29, 2008)
- Curing Non-Compliance: Practical Factors to Consider, American Bar Association Section of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law 19th Annual Spring Symposia (May 1-2, 2008)