Mark E. Matthews is a member in Caplin & Drysdale's Tax Controversies and Tax Litigation practices. Prior to joining Caplin & Drysdale, Mr. Matthews practiced tax controversy and litigation at an international law firm. He also served as IRS Deputy Commissioner from October 2003 through December 2006, overseeing a period of unprecedented growth in enforcement activity. He was responsible for the IRS's four civil operating divisions, the Criminal Investigation Division, and the Office of Professional Responsibility, which regulates tax practitioner ethics.
ServicesMr. Matthews focuses his practice on criminal tax enforcement, broad-based civil tax compliance, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), white collar matters, and anti-money laundering matters. He also advises clients on the IRS voluntary disclosure program, with particular focus on disclosure related to offshore banking accounts.
HighlightsMr. Matthews was previously global co-head of anti-money laundering at Deutsche Bank, where he oversaw implementation of the Patriot Act, and, prior to that, was Chief of the IRS Criminal Investigation Division, the agency's investigative and law enforcement arm, renowned for its expertise in investigating financial crime, including tax, money laundering, narcotics, and terrorism-related matters.
Other government positions Mr. Matthews has held include Deputy Assistant Attorney General of the U.S. Department of Justice Tax Division (1994-1998), where he led the Department's criminal tax enforcement program, and Senior Advisor to the Treasury Department's Assistant Secretary for Enforcement (1993-1994), where he was Director of the Treasury Department's Anti-Money Laundering Task Force. Mr. Matthews was also an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of New York and then a Deputy Chief of that office's Criminal Division, as well as special assistant to William H. Webster, first at the FBI and then at the CIA.
Mr. Matthews' recent speaking engagements include:
- Panelist, Intergovernmental Agreements (IGAs): Information Exchange and the Search for Privacy, 22nd International Tax and Trust Summit (November 2013)
- Speaker, A Critical Look at the IRS Offshore Voluntary Disclosure Programs - 5 Years Out, University of San Diego School of Law - Procopio International Tax Institute (October 2013)
- Presenter, Basic Criminal Tax Workshop for the Uninitiated, The 48th Annual Southern Federal Tax Institute (October 2013)
- Speaker, Managing Risk in a New Era of International Tax Enforcement, Tax Executive Institute Monthly Luncheon - Houston Chapter (October 2013)
- Speaker, Update on IRS International Initiatives, Atlanta Tax Forum (September 2013)
- Speaker, 5th Annual AML/CFT, Anti-Fraud & Financial Crimes Conference (July 2013)
- Speaker, Criminal Investigations/Offshore Reporting, 12th Annual North Carolina/South Carolina Tax Section Workshop (May 2013)
- Moderator, Criminal Tax Enforcement Hot Topics: The IRS Perspective, ABA Taxation Section Webinar (March 2013)
- Speaker, Opting out of the OVDI Penalty Structure and Litigating FBAR Penalties, ABA Taxation Section Webinar (January 2013)
To view a comprehensive list of Mr. Matthew's speaking engagements, please visit here.