James P. Wehner is a member in Caplin & Drysdale's Washington, D.C. office. His principal practice area is complex civil litigation, with a focus on financial products and services, class actions, and creditors' rights litigation.
ServicesMr. Wehner has extensive experience with disputes arising from financial products, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, and fraud. His cases have spanned a variety of industries, from banking and insurance to telecommunications, information technology services, auto parts and steel.
- On behalf of the official committee of asbestos claimants in a large Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding, Mr. Wehner tried the case estimating the debtors' global liability for asbestos personal injury
- He represents the purchaser of a synthetic collateralized debt obligation in a case involving the management of a pool of reference obligations
- He litigated and settled a federal multidistrict consumer class action lawsuit in the cellular telephone industry
- He has also represented a creditors' committee in a fraudulent transfer proceeding to unwind a $1 billion corporate spin-off
- In the course of his work, Mr. Wehner has appeared before federal and state courts across the country and before domestic and international arbitral panels
- Panelist, Litigating on the Edge: Handling Disputes with Distressed Companies, Washington Metropolitan Area Corporate Counsel Association's Litigation Forum (July 2011)
- Presenter at a hedge fund seminar in New York about issues facing hedge funds and their managers in the current financial crisis
- Speaker on litigation and bankruptcy issues surrounding derivatives and collateralized debt obligations