Elan Keller joined Caplin & Drysdale in 2012 as a Member in the firm's New York office. Prior to joining Caplin & Drysdale, Mr. Keller was Managing Director and Tax Director of Macquarie Holdings (USA) Inc. ("Macquarie"). In this role, he oversaw Macquarie Americas' diverse structural and transaction-based initiatives from a tax perspective and developed a tax risk management framework. At Macquarie, Mr. Keller advised corporate officers, senior executives, accountants, and in-house lawyers on a broad range of tax matters. In addition, he managed the development and implementation of multi-jurisdictional, tax efficient structures across various operating groups. In 2013, Mr. Keller was recommended by The Legal 500 for his work in domestic and international tax.
ServicesClients seek Mr. Keller's advice on matters involving tax due diligence and structuring with respect to cross-border and domestic M&A transactions; the U.S. aspects of inbound and outbound operations; transfer pricing; corporate restructurings, reorganizations and distributions; capital markets and structured finance transactions; infrastructure and leasing transactions; and oil, gas, energy, and natural resource transactions. He also provides advice to clients on matters relating to tax audit management, including the representation of clients involved in IRS audits and external financial statement audits, and tax audit planning.
A licensed CPA, Mr. Keller's accounting background further enhances the legal services he provides both from an economic and tax accounting perspective.
During his tenure at Macquarie, Mr. Keller established and managed the tax legal and tax reporting functions with oversight of more than twenty CPAs and tax lawyers. Moreover, he took on a leadership role in numerous acquisitions across various business groups, such as the acquisition of Delaware Investments in January 2010, which tripled assets under management for Macquarie Investment Management – Macquarie Group's largest acquisition at the time. Other notable M&A transactions include:
- Macquarie Energy's acquisition of Constellation Energy's downstream natural gas trading operations;
- Macquarie Capital's acquisition of Fox Pitt-Kelton Cochran Caronia Waller and Giuliani Capital Advisors LLC; and
- Macquarie's acquisition of CIT Systems Leasing, Globalis Investments, and Four Corners Capital Management.
Awards & Rankings
- Recommended in 2013 by The Legal 500 for his experience in domestic and international tax law.
- Tax Notes Speaks With Elan Keller: G-20 Endorses OECD's Common Reporting Standard for Automatic Information Exchange (February 25, 2014)
- Corporate Tax Lawyer Elan Keller Comments on OECD's Release of Global Tax Reporting Standards (February 18, 2014)
- CQ Roll Call Quotes Elan Keller on OECD Anti-Tax Evasion Standards (February 14, 2014)
- Elan Keller Comments on China's Plans for Greater International Cooperation Against Tax Evasion (January 27, 2014)
- Law360 Interviews Elan Keller on Key Tax Issues (January 15, 2014)
- Tax Analysts' Worldwide Tax Daily Quotes Elan Keller: OECD Says Luxembourg and Cyprus Fail to Meet Tax Information Exchange Standard (November 25, 2013)
- Bloomberg Quotes Elan Keller: Multinationals Need to Adapt for Move to Automatic Exchange of Tax Information (November 22, 2013)
- Reuters Quotes Elan Keller: IRS Takes on Tyco in U.S. Tax Court Debt-vs-Equity Dispute(August 7, 2013)
- Law360 Quotes Caplin & Drysdale Partner Elan Keller About OECD's Controversial Global Tax Plan (August 1, 2013)
- Elan Keller Quoted in CFO.com on Tax Effects of Hurricane Sandy (November 27, 2012)
- MEDIA ADVISORY: Caplin & Drysdale Sees Trend That May Further Limit Corporate Tax Planning Opportunities (September 21, 2012)
- Elan Keller Quoted by Accounting Today on Senate Probe of Offshore Profit Shifting (September 21, 2012)
- Gold and Keller, "The UPS, Limited and Compaq Cases: Is the Tide Turning?" 26 International Tax J. No. 3, 1 (Summer 2000)
- Harvey and Keller, "Transfer Pricing: A Special Report," International Tax Review Supp. 31 July (2000)
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, "So You Want to be an In-House Counsel: Searching, Evaluating, Transitioning and Developing the Necessary Skills to Get The Job," New York County Lawyers' Association, New York City, 2014