Christopher S. Rizek is a member in Caplin & Drysdale's Washington, D.C. office. He also serves as General Counsel to the firm. In 2013, he was recommended as a "Leading Lawyer" for Tax Controversy by The Legal 500
ServicesMr. Rizek represents taxpayers in all types of federal civil and criminal tax controversy matters. He also guides clients through IRS audits, prepares administrative claims and protests of IRS actions, and litigates tax and tax-related cases in U.S. district and appellate courts, the U.S. Court of Federal Claims, and the U.S. Tax Court. In recent years, he has represented numerous financial and professional firms in connection with IRS examinations of tax shelter compliance issues.
Mr. Rizek has a unique history of government service before joining the firm. His combination of practical and policy-level experience in government has given him special insight into the application of the tax laws and IRS procedures, which has been of great value to many of the firm's clients who are faced with complex tax controversies and litigation.
- From 1995-1998, he was an Attorney-Advisor and Associate Tax Legislative Counsel with the U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Tax Legislative Counsel. While at theTreasury, he was responsible for regulations and legislation involving tax practice and procedure, including the Taxpayer Bill of Rights 2 (1996) and the IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998.
- From 1984-1988, Mr. Rizek was a Trial Attorney with the U.S. Department of Justice, Tax Division, and he received the Outstanding Attorney Award in 1986.
Mr. Rizek regularly speaks to tax, legal, and other professionals on a variety of tax issues. He has served in numerous capacities for various bar associations involved in taxation, including the ABA Section of Taxation, the DC Bar Tax Section, and the Section of Taxation of the Federal Bar Association.
Mr. Rizek's speaking engagements also include:
- Moderator, Important Developments, ABA Section of Taxation, 2012 May Meeting, Washington, D.C. (May 2012)
- Panelist, Ethics and the Corporate Tax Professional, Region VII TEI Meeting, Hilton Head, SC (June 2012)
- Panelist, Litigating Section 7408 Actions, ABA Section of Taxation, Court Procedure and Practice Committee, Boston, MA (September 2012)
- Panelist, Professional Responsibility Developments for Tax Professionals, Federal Bar Association, Insurance Tax Conference, Chicago, IL (November 2012)
- Panelist, Crossing the Line: Real Life Ethical Issues in Tax Practice, NYU 71st Institute on Federal Taxation, San Diego, CA (November 2012)
- Panelist, Penalties, More and More: How to Assess and Deal with Exposures and Seek Relief, University of Texas at Austin School of Law's 60th Annual Taxation Conference (December 2012)
Mr. Rizek is an Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University Law Center and in the Spring of 2012 he will be teaching the course Tax Practice & Procedure (Administrative) to IRS personnel. He has also been a guest lecturer at other law schools and universities. Mr. Rizek is active in civic organizations in Anne Arundel County, Maryland where he resides, and formerly served as Chairman of the Anne Arundel County Ethics Commission.
- The Malpractice Environment for Tax Lawyers in the United States, a chapter in Practice Exposures for the International Tax Professional in the 21st Century, 37 Tax Management International Journal 431 (August 8, 2008)